Sunday, February 22, 2009

Confessions of a movieholic

A fan of all of the shopoholic books I was excited to traipse two of my daughters into the theatre this afternoon to enjoy the screen adaptation of not one but two of Sophie Kinsella's series of Rebecca Bloomwood books. From the first trailer I saw I was questioning why they took books set in England-moved them to New York-took an English actress and gave her an American accent and why oh why did they deprive me of seeing street scenes of my beloved London.
I wish I could answer these questions. While I did enjoy the movie despite the fact the deaf old woman behind me seemed to have forgotten that she wasn't in her living room and we had all paid to listen to the movie NOT her extremely loud complaints about it, I must admit I was a little dissapointed. Isla Fisher was adorable. All of the casting was great, right down to her Americanized parents played by Joan Cusak (personal fav) and John Goodman (Where the hell has he been?) but somehow the spark and appeal of the books was gone on the screen. I have come to expect this 40 years into my book to movie career but time after time I hope that this may be the one. This may be the movie that makes the leap successfully. Instead of being captivated by "Confessions of a Shopaholic" I found myself captivated by what I saw outside the theatre next door when I popped out to the Ladies room. A huge line had formed outside Tyler Perry's latest movie. I had to fight the urge to sneak in and see what all the fuss was about. In fact only the thought of the loud old lady abducting my abandoned daughters kept my from taking my place in the line-just for a peak of course. Next time I go to the movie I am going to branch out and see a great looking man dress up like a large woman who goes to prison. Obviously all of those people knew something I didn't.

1 comment:

Cindy at LottieBird said...

Can I just tell you that I saw that movie (somewhat reluctantly) and actually had moments when I snorted out loud (and not because I aspirated popcorn).